This degree is a unique cross-disciplinary program designed to be completed in one calendar year (January-December). There are three main themes that drive the educational experience in our program: business strategy, data management and experiential learning. The curriculum is the result of an educational partnership between the College of Business, College of Natural Sciences and College of Engineering to ensure our students have a strong background in business, statistics and computer programming. Our goal is to train students to have the talent required to be successful data advocates across multiple business functions.
- Business Strategy: Students are trained on how they can use data analytics to improve business performance and communicate it at a strategic level.
- Data Management: This involves a focus on data mining, statistics and marketing technology.
- Experiential Learning: Every semester of the program, students are required to work on a live business analytics project sponsored by a corporate partner. See below on this page for additional details.
||Courses (30 credits total)
- Data Management and Visualization in Analytics
- Computational Techniques for Large Scale Data Analysis
- Large Scale Data Learning Lab
- Communication Strategies for Analytics
- Business Analytics Problem Solving (Statistics)
- Co-curricular Corporate Project (1 company, 8 student teams)
- Applied Statistics Methods (2-week summer intensive in May)
- Web Analytics (2-week summer intensive in May)
- Internship (end of May through early August)
- Social Network Analytics
- Data Mining
- Machine Learning and Optimization in Analytics
- Capstone Business Analytics Corporate Project (10 companies and 10 student teams)
Engage our Top Talent
- Corporate Project Sponsor: Every spring and fall, we feature live big data projects sponsored by corporate partners. Each project is assigned a faculty coach and a team of students to work remotely on the topic presented over approximately 10 weeks.
- Hire an intern or full time job candidate: Employers are welcome to recruit in a manner that works best for their needs. Please contact the program director to set up a recruiting plan that works for you! We also have two formal events during the year:
- Fall Analytics and Insights Career Fair: Designed to assist MS Business Analytics students in finding full time job opportunities for their December graduation and to help provide prospective students a networking platform to learn about the field. This fair is open to all feeder majors at MSU such as statistics, computer programming, etc. This event is set to occur September 13, 2018. Register
- Spring Insights & Analtyics Internship Fair: Specifically for MS Business Analytics and Marketing Research students seeking internships for the summer. This event is on January 26th, 2018. Click Here to Register!
- Resume Books: Resume books are available upon request to connect directly with the students.
- Corporate Information session and post-day interviews: Host a one-hour information session to showcase opportunities at your company and then conduct interviews the following day to screen for talent.
- Class Speaker: Visit the students in class to speak directly on a current topic
Corporate Project Sponsors & Testimonials:
Employers that have sponsored corporate projects include: Amway, Accident Fund Insurance, Auto Owners Insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Carhartt, Consumers Energy, Diageo, Dow, Farm Bureau Insurance, GM, Great Expressions Dental, Meijer, Michigan Lottery, MSU Advancement, MSU Federal Credit Union, MSU Hockey, NSF, OnStar, Owens Corning, Sunset Grown, State of Michigan, Steelcase, USAA, Urban Science, Valassis, Vertafore, and many more.
We recruit throughout the year for the corporate project aspect of the program. Please email Betsey Voorhees to connect on how sponsor a project. Specific details at Corporate Projects Overview
Auto Owners Insurance (Eric Traux, Predictive Analtyics Department)
|“I am impressed with the preparedness of the students coming out of this program. They were able to immediately have a meaningful conversation with me about the technical details of predictive modeling while at the same time knowing what questions to ask to better appreciate the business environment in which their models will live.”
Michigan Lottery (Amanda Perkins, Research Department)
“The opportunity to work with the MSU Business Analytics program was a wonderful experience for the Michigan Lottery. They worked extremely hard researching our industry to provide the most accurate answers as possible. The students’ expertise in Business Analytics could be seen throughout the project, especially with their final presentation and recommendations. The MSU Business Analytics program provides tremendous value to organizations who are searching for answers to complex data issues. We look forward to working with the program again in the near future.”
For additional information, please contact the program director, Betsey Voorhees, at email@example.com or call via phone at 517-432-2914