MS in Business Analytics = Data Mining + Business Intelligence
Candidates for the MS in Business Analytics are admitted on a rolling basis throughout the year for the January start date. Admission to the program is selective. The applicant’s overall record is considered, including the statement of objectives, recommendations, academic transcripts, interview, and composite of other documents.
APPLICATIONS FOR SPRING 2019 ARE NOW CLOSED. APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN FOR SPRING 2020 ON MARCH 15th.
Application Deadlines & Procedures
- Your application must be COMPLETE and SUBMITTED by the final deadline in order to be considered. This includes unofficial GRE/TOFEL/IELTS scores and recommendations submitted. Official scores and transcripts are not required unless admitted, but it is recommended they are sent hard copy to of office to add to your file to expedite processing.
- Applications will open March 15th, and close September 1st.
- It is highly recommended to apply early to have the best chance of admission.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis. If you are graduating in May 2019, you will have an application decision no later than April 15th, 2019 if you apply before April 1st, 2019.
- Most applicants will receive a response to their application (interview, waitlist, or not admitted) within three weeks of a COMPLETE and SUBMITTED application. Interviewed candidates will have a decision within two weeks post-interview.
Applications are reviewed after all materials listed below have been submitted. Selected applicants will be interviewed as a part of the admissions process.
- Submit application and pay fee submission
- Unofficial transcripts uploaded to the application portal for all institutions attended. If admitted, one set of official transcripts sent directly to the program office for all university/colleges attended will be required. Must be in a sealed envelope by the university. International student note: We request that all colleges, or universities attended, and examination boards send original or attested copies of all transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets, and certificates directly to us in an official, sealed envelope upon ADMISSION to the program. In addition, where the original documents are not issued in English, also provide an official English translation of each document.
- GMAT or GRE score (This requirement is only waived for Michigan State University graduates with a 3.25 GPA or higher.
- Two letters of recommendation (academic or work-related)
- Personal Statement: Focusing on why pursuing this career path. The academic statement on the application is optional and can be used to provide additional details supporting your analytics educational experiences that are not listed on your transcripts.
- TOEFL or IELTS (international applicants only). This is only waived for students that have completed their undergrad work at MSU.
- Affidavit of Support and Bank Statement (international applicants only).
- Chinese applicants only: The CDGDC is no longer verifying in English. Please have your institution send your transcript in both the original and English translation in a sealed envelope (this is only required if you are admitted to the program).
Admissions Documentation Details:
1. Transcripts: You may upload unofficial transcripts to the application portal. Upon admission to the MSBA program, please provide one set of official transcripts of all academic work completed in colleges or universities other than MSU. You may send hard copy transcripts prior to admission to expedite admission processing later, but it is not required until admission. Applicants who have attended other colleges and universities must make arrangements with the Registrar’s office at each college attended to have the transcripts sent. All transcripts should be sent directly to the program office. When your application is submitted, it will state your official transcripts are “not received”–this is expected and will not delay your review.
International students: You may upload unofficial transcripts to the application portal. Upon admission to the MSBA program, please request that all colleges, or universities attended, and examination boards send original or attested copies of all transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets, and certificates directly to the program office in an official, sealed envelope. In addition, where the original documents are not issued in English, also provide an official English translation of each document. You may wish to start this process prior to being admitted to expedite later processing.
2. GMAT/GRE: The MS in Business Analytics GMAT code: QHO-5P-59. Waivers are only provided on the GMAT requirement for MSU graduates with a cumulative GPA over 3.25. The GRE university code is 1465. We only require the unofficial score on your application. The application summary will state your scores are not received; your application will still be reviewed with the unofficial scores entered.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation: Please arrange to have recommendations from former faculty members or knowledgeable employers who can support your candidacy for the program. The recommendations should provide evidence of your academic potential and demonstrated abilities as a potential graduate student. You will input their email addresses into the portal and they will be sent a link to fill out a standard recommendation form. Recommenders may also upload a letter to this form if they wish. APPLICATIONS ARE NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT BOTH RECOMMENDERS RESPONDING.
4. Personal Statement: The statement should describe your interest in the program, career goals, and reasons why the MS in Business Analytics will assist in attaining your objectives. The statement should be no longer than two typed, double-spaced pages. Please address the following: 1) why you are interested in the MSBA program, 2) how your background will contribute to your success in the program, and 3) briefly describe your career goals.
5. Resume: Submit a current resume in reverse chronological order of your work (most recent first), education, and other experience. A sample format can be found here MSBusinessAnalyticsResumeTemplate
6. TOEFL Scores: The official results from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS must be submitted to the MS in Business Analytics program office. Read more about the standards. Waivers may be considered for students under certain situations (Example: Students who have graduated from Michigan State University, received a Master’s degree earned at an AAU institution on a U.S. campus, etc.). University Code: 1465. TOFEL scores may be sent electronically, but IELTS scores must be sent in paper copy in a sealed envelope from the testing service–we do not accept electronic official scores from IELTS.
7. Affidavit of Support: In order to obtain the documents needed to file for a student visa (I-20 or DS-2019), students must show adequate proof of financial support. All international students must provide a signed affidavit of support and bank statement with the name of the account holder in English. The financial amount can be found at our Tuition Page. We require $70,000 in support. This must be in a checking or savings account, or official loan paperwork.