Department of Accounting & Information Systems
North Business College Complex
632 Bogue St. N270
East Lansing, MI 48824-1121
The minimum standards for admission to the M.S. in Accounting Program are:
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting from a recognized educational institution or a bachelor’s degree that includes at a minimum a 3.0 grade or higher in intermediate financial accounting (at MSU this is ACC 300), survey of calculus (at MSU MTH 124) and probability and statistics for business majors (at MSU STT 315.)*
- A cumulative grade-point average of at least a 3.0 from any institution attended.
- A grade-point average of at least 3.0 for any junior- and senior-level accounting courses taken as an undergraduate.
- A working knowledge of personal computers including word processing, spreadsheets, networking, and database management systems.
- Three letters of recommendation with at least one written by a faculty member.
- A minimum GMAT score of 550 (school code: QH0-5P-32)
- The GRE will not be accepted.
- Current MSU accounting students with both an overall GPA and at least three intermediate accounting courses (300/400-level, excluding ACC 308) of at least 3.25 are able to waive the GMAT.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY (school code: 1465)
A minimum IELTS band score of 7 OR a minimum TOEFL score in any of the following areas is required:
- 600 paper score
- 250 computer score
- 100 internet score
Please Note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the minimum standards listed above does not guarantee admission. Although all of the above minimum standards must normally be met, the applicant’s overall record is considered, including letters of recommendation, student’s statement of objectives, work experience, extra-curricular activities, and TOEFL/IELTS scores.
*Although students may be accepted into the program whose undergraduate degree is not in accounting and includes just an intermediate-level financial accounting course, these students will be required to complete all undergraduate accounting major courses (equivalent to an MSU undergraduate degree in accounting) prior to or during enrollment in the MS in Accounting Program. One 400-level accounting course may be counted toward the M.S. degree with the approval of the program advisor.